From Historical Data Relating to Counties, Cities and Towns in Massachusetts, 1997, prepared by William Francis Galvin, Secretary of the Commonwealth.
1639. Sept. 4.* “Mr. Ezechi: Rogers plantation shalbee called Rowley.” 1640. May 13.* Bounds fixed. 1640. Oct. 7~* Additional grant of land to Rowley. 1649. May 4•* One-fifth of Plum Island granted to Rowley. 1656. May 14.* Bounds between Rowley and Newbury established. 1668. May 27.” “...inhabitants of Rouley liuing ouer against Hauerill, the Court granted them the right to establish a village. (Mass. Bay Rec., Vol. IV, Part 2, p. 380.) 1685. Aug. 12.” Part established as township of Rowley Village and bounds established. 1701. Feb. 24.” Bounds between Rowley and Bradford established. 1785. Nov. 29. Part of Ipswich annexed. 1808. June 10. Part annexed to Boxford. 1810. June 13. Part annexed to Boxford. 1825. June 18. Bounds between Rowley and Boxford established. 1838. Apr. 21. Part established as Georgetown. 1904. Mar. 12. Bounds between Rowley and Boxford established. 1904. Mar. 19. Bounds between Rowley and lpswich established. 1905. Mar. 27. Bounds between Rowley and Newbury established. 1931. June 9. Bounds between Rowley and Newbury established. Archaic Names of the Municipality: Mr. Ezechial Rogers Plantation. Section/Village Names: Bean Crossing, Burk’s Corner, Chaplinville, Danielsville, Doles’ Corner, Glen Mills, Leighton Corner, Millwood, Nelson Island, Rooty Plain, Sodom.
The 1650 map of Rowley, showing the property owners
Today in Rowley
|Town Common||Burial Ground||Town Hall|
|Main Street (Rt. 1A)||Jewell Mill||Oldest Stone Bridge|
|Rowley Burial Ground|